Saturday, November 27, 2021

Novel Alimony

A reader informed me of something I had never heard of or even suspected existed - In Florida you can get alimony without a divorce

"This form may be used if a dissolution of marriage has not been filed, and you are requesting alimony. If a petition for dissolution has been filed, you should file a Motion for Temporary Support with No Dependent or Minor Child(ren), Florida Supreme Court Approved Family Law Form 12.947(c), instead of using this petition. Also, if you are requesting that an order be entered for you to pay support to your spouse, you should not file this form."

Now I can imagine that one spouse might drain all a couple's bank accounts and hide the money (Spring was quite good at hiding money from me) so he or she has to go to court to gain access to those joint assets but that isn't alimony. 

Family law is very strange indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment